Friday, February 10, 2023

Jalāl al-Dīn Rūmī ~ Finally...

 

 

 

 This moment this love comes to rest in me,
    many beings in one being.
    In one wheat grain a thousand sheaf stacks.
    Inside the needle's eye, a turning night of stars.

    Listen, if you can stand to.
    Union with the friend
    means not being who you have been,
    being instead silence, a place,
    a view where language is inside seeing.

    From the wet source
    someone cuts a reed to make a flute
    The reed sips breath like wine,
    sips more, practicing. Now drunk,
    it starts the high clear notes.

    There is a path from me to you
    that I am constantly looking for,
    so I try to keep clear and still
    as water does with the moon.

    We do not have to follow the pressure-flow of wanting.
    We can be led by the guide.
    Wishes may or may not come true
    in this house of disappointment.
    Let's push the door open together and leave.

    My essence is like the essence of a red wine.
    My body is a cup that grieves because it is inside time.
    Glass after glass of wine go into my head.
    Finally, my head goes into the wine.


 
    Coleman Barks version
    The Big Red Book

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment