Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Douglas Harding - This True Nature of Mine




 What, then, is this alleged True Nature of mine, this
wonderful discovery of the wise which promises to settle
everything?  I'd better have some idea right away of this
Identity I'm looking for, otherwise I'm unlikely to find
either its presence or its absence.  In briefest summary,
what I'm advised to seek is no thing at all, but unlimited,
unconditioned, unmoving, timeless (repeat timeless), simple,
silent, and - above and below all - self-evident and
intensely alive to itself as all this.  It is the unknowable
of which Aristotle said that nothing is so knowable.  It is
the bottomless abyss of mystery-beneath-mystery which is at
once my refuge and my Self.  Among its metaphors and synonyms
are Nothingness, Clarity, Transparency, the Clear Light,
Empty Space, the Void which is trackless and stainless and
speckless, bare Capacity, the Unborn and Undying...none of
which do more than help me recognize it when I stumble upon it.

                          Douglas Harding, an excerpt from
                          The Little Book of Life and Death





 

No comments:

Post a Comment