Friday, May 30, 2014

Andal - A thousand elephants followed


A thousand elephants followed
as Narana Nampi walked in state.
The town was adorned
with flags and banners,
at every threshold
stood a blessed golden urn---
I dreamt this dream, my friend.
Tomorrow, auspicious day,
the wedding will take place.
A great green awning stood
adorned with shoots of palm and areca.
Entered Madhava of leonine power
the ox-like youth, Govinda---
I dreamt this dream, my friend.
Indra and hosts of gods arrived,
they blest me,
chose me as bride.
The wedding garb
Durga draped upon me,
she decked me
with bridal garland---
I dreamt this dream, my friend...

from Antal and Her Path of Love: Poems of a Woman Saint from South India, Translated by Vidya Dehejia 


Andal - A Lady Saint of South India
Andal is an important saint of Bhakti, who practiced a new type of romantic relationship with the Lord.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment