Monday, July 9, 2018

Thomas Merton - Prayer, Silence & Solitude



In true prayer, although every silent moment remains the same, 
every moment is a new discovery of a new silence, 
a new penetration into that eternity in which all things are always new. 
We know, by fresh discovery, the deep reality that is our concrete existence here and now …

When I am liberated by silence,
when I am no longer involved in the measurement of life,
but in the living of it,
I can discover a form of prayer in which
there is effectively, no distraction.

My whole life becomes a prayer.
My whole silence is full of prayer.

The world of silence in which I am immersed contributes to my prayer.

Let me seek, then, the gift of silence, … and solitude,
where everything I touch is turned into prayer:

where the sky is my prayer,
the birds are my prayer,
the wind in the trees is my prayer,
for God is all in all.




 via
 

1 comment: