Monday, July 24, 2023

Jalāl al-Dīn Rūmī - In your Love I have lost my mind

 

 

 Come! For in your love I have lost my mind.
Once a city, now I am a ruin.

From your love I moved out of my home,
left my family.
Now my bedmate is the pain of longing.

Never mind how passive I was before I saw you.
Now I’m a real man.


When I saw how sweetly our souls were related8
I became a stranger to my own family.

Day and night I consumed the tales of lovers,
Now consumed by your love, I am the tale.

I swear on the souls of all holy drunkards,
I am drunk on your love!
O Beloved, take my hand.

I swear by all who risk their lives for God, I am life.
I swear on the souls of the freed, I am free!

I trailed after books like Mercy after the sun.
I ranked high among intellectuals.

When I saw what was written on the Wine-bearer’s face
I broke all pens in my drunken frenzy.

You commanded, rip the veil; I ripped it!
You commanded, break the chalice; I broke it!

You commanded I cut ties with my friends.
I left all and bound myself to you.

 


 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqYR9UsI_E&list=PLwWPKLjnZQuSBCl1DL8_PAmA3mwUeSg4r&index=30

      Delete