Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Jalāl al-Dīn Rūmī ~ Cradle My Heart

 

 

 Last night,
I was lying on the rooftop,
thinking of you.
I saw a special Star,
and summoned her
to take you a message.
I prostrated myself to the Star
and asked her
to take my prostration
to that Sun of Tabriz.
So that with his light,
he can turn my dark stones
into gold.
I opened my chest
and showed her my scars,
I told her to bring me news
of my bloodthirsty Lover.
As I waited,
I paced back and forth,
until the child
of my heart became quiet.
The child slept,
as if I were rocking
his cradle.
Oh Beloved,
give milk to the infant
of the heart,
and don't hold us
from our turning.
You have cared for hundreds,
don't let it stop with me now.
At the end,
the town of unity is
the place for the heart.
Why do you keep
this bewildered heart
in the town of dissolution?
I have gone speechless,
but to rid myself
of this dry mood,
oh Saaqhi,
pass the narcissus
of the wine.

From: Hush Don't Say Anything to God: Passionate Poems of Rumi
Translated by Sharam Shiva

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment