Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Zeynep Hatun - from You to You


I am a fountain, You are my water.
I flow from You to You.

I am an eye, You are my light,
I look from You to You.

You are neither my right nor my left.
You are my foot and my arm as well.

I am a traveler, You are my road.
I go from You to You.

–Zeynep Hatun
from Women in Sufism: A Hidden Treasure

~
Zeynep Hatun was the first significant woman poet of Ottoman Divan Poetry. As with so many love poets in the tradition, her words dance on the borderline between worldly and divine love.

In Camille Helminski's book, Women of Sufism, we are told that:

"...Zeynep Hatun [was] one of the strong women of Sufism around whom people have gathered for light and guidance in the Ankara region of Turkey for many years..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment