Friday, January 23, 2015

David Whyte - ‘Pilgrim’

Photo © David Whyte
Morning Misted Valley :
Puget Sound, January 2015



I bow to the lark
and its tiny
lifted silhouette
fluttering
before infinity.
I promise myself
to the mountain
and to the foundation
from which
my future comes.
I make my vow
to the stream
flowing beneath,
and to the water
falling
toward all thirst,
and
I pledge myself
to the sea
to which it goes
and to the mercy
of my disappearance,
and though I may be
left alone
or abandoned by
the unyielding present
or orphaned in some far
unspoken place,
I will speak
with a voice
of loyalty
and faith
to the far shore
where everything
turns to arrival…


Excerpted from ‘Pilgrim’ in
PILGRIM: Poems by David Whyte
©2012 David Whyte


1 comment:

  1. Wow - Yes... "I pledge myself to the sea to which it goes and to the mercy of my disappearance..." Speechless.

    ReplyDelete