Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Root of Fear | J. Krishnamurti



“So we are enquiring what is the root of fear, not a particular fear but the root of all fear. The root of fear is time: what I will be, what I have been, what I might not be. Time is the past, the present, and the future. The past modifying itself in the present and continuing in the future. 
Fear of something that has happened psychologically, or physically, last week, or last year, and hoping that it will not continue in the future. So time is a factor of fear. 
The poor man, fear of not being able to find the next meal. You don’t know all that. The fear of having no home, no shelter, no food. And the effect of fear, both on the physical organism, and on the psychological, on the psyche, and the very psyche may be made up of fear. Please understand that.
The psyche, what you are, may be the result of fear. And probably is. So it is important to understand the depth and the meaning of fear. And that is time and thought. 
Time as the future, I might die, I might lose, I might be nobody, I am somebody now – which I doubt – but I want to be somebody in the future, the next day, and so on. So time and thought are the root of fear. And therefore one must ask a much more serious question: whether time and thought has a stop.”

J. Krishnamurti
Talk 2, New York, 1983
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment