Friday, March 29, 2019

Rumi - 'tis I




 "If there be any lover in the world, O Moslems, 'tis I.
  If there be any believer, infidel, or Christian hermit, 'tis I.
  The wine-dregs, the cupbearer, the minstrel, the harp, and the music,
  The beloved, the candle, the drink and the joy of the drunken--'tis I.
  The two-and-seventy creeds and sects in the world
Do not really exist: I swear by God that every creed and sect--'tis I.
  Earth and air and water and fire--knowest thou what they are?
  Earth and air and water and fire, nay, body and soul too--'tis I.
  Truth and falsehood, good and evil, ease and difficulty from first to last,
  Knowledge and learning and asceticism and piety and faith--'tis I.
  The fire of Hell, be assured, with its flaming limbos,
  Yes, and Paradise and Eden and the Houris--'tis I.
  This earth and heaven with all that they hold,
  Angels, Peris, Genies, and Mankind--'tis I."






 

No comments:

Post a Comment