Sunday, February 3, 2019

Miriam Louisa Simons - Unfindable

Art – Edgar Degas, Woman Seen from Behind, Drying her Hair c. 1905 – 1910


 how a few moments of empty-mind spiked with questions of the unanswerable kind
can deliver you to your effulgent nothingness




I take off my clothes,

lift them to my face,

inhale the fragrance of my skin.

By what alchemy was that unique odour created?

 

I soak in the bath,

submerged to my chin.

Wetness, warmth: what registers these sensations

yet never gets wet?

 

I towel-dry my mop of silver hair.

I marvel that it grows, it falls out;

more grows, automatically.

Can I spin one thread of hair?

 

I trim a toenail.

How does this perfect toe-guard

know how to grow?

Is there a how-to manual for nails (and hair and cells)?

 

My scissors slip.

I watch my bright blood slowly seep,

congeal, clot (or not).

Can I control a clot?

 

I listen to the ambient sounds of my environment.

By what miracle can I hear

the kettle boiling urgently,

and those rowdy Kookaburras?

 

I make coffee and slowly savour the flavour,

asking myself,

(eyes shut)

Where exactly is ‘taste’ located?

 

Then, uninvited, the mother of all questions shows up:

Where’s my world viewed from?

I gaze undistractedly

at my coffee cup.

 

I can’t find a point of perspective.

So then I try to find a viewer.

Can I find a fixed point,

a “me”?

 

Almost 75 years of wondering, checking for myself,

what can I report?

Well, as the saying goes:  All the lights are on but

no one’s home.

 

I imagined myself into existence,

only to find I am unfindable.

What I find is inescapable space.

Space that’s unimagined, and unarguably aware.

 

Space – ceaselessly birthing

all experience in, and as, time,

including this tricky two-step called

BE-ing.

 

Aware space, dancing

as every sensation, feeling, thought,

every belief – questioned or not,

every thing and every no-thing too.

 

And I, hobbled and hollow-boned,

know its fancy footwork as my own.

 

 

Don’t you just love the way a few moments

of empty-mind

spiked with questions of the unanswerable kind

can deliver you to your effulgent nothingness?



– with a deep bow, ml





(deep bow from mb to ml)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment