Friday, May 25, 2018

The Sayings of Old Man Tcheng



Foreword

The sayings of old man Tcheng convey a Sense which is dependent neither on time nor place, nor on the words and he who uttered them, nor on signs or letters and those who have transcribed them.
Since old man Tcheng looks on himself as but a block of resounding wood, it would be vain to seek to know who he is or to give oneself to commenting, comparing or speculating concerning his sayings and, thus, remain at the level of historicism and intellectualism, as well as proving that nothing had been understood of his sayings and that one’s heart was closed to the Sense they bear.
It is therefore important to keep these sayings in their unspoiled freshness so as to preserve the fullness of their power and ensure that their Sense will ever remain untainted.

~~~


 In my youth, I went all round the land giving myself up to study and practices. I associated with those who had strayed and, imagining they had found the light, did nothing but cause others to stray. Then, I met him who enabled me to see all the useless mud I bore with me. The way of truth appeared to me and original spirit became my sole occupation. 
And, one day, everything suddenly collapsed into awareness.
I, old Tcheng, do not imitate so and so, or such and such a one. I hold to no belief, no school of thought do I follow, no one’s disciple am I. In my true nature I know nothing, I own nothing, I am nothing… for there is no old Tcheng there! In the ordinary way, the things in which I take part, of themselves, just flow by, pass away on their own. Even original spirit is no longer my concern.
The words I speak to you come not from that which is learnt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the words traced on this scroll, which I have just read:
if I tell you they are from the Buddha, 
you look upon them as sacred, and you are filled with veneration and fear
if I tell you they are from Bodhidharma or from a great patriarch, 
you are filled with admiration and respect
if I tell you they are by an unknown monk, 
you no longer know what to think, and you are filled with doubt
if I tell you they come from the monk in the kitchens, 
you burst out laughing, thinking I have just played a trick on you.
Thus, what counts for you is not the truth that these words bear but only the importance to be granted them according to the fame of the one from whom they are said to have come. You are incapable of seeing for yourselves but only feel what you think should be felt, and think according to the opinion of those you have placed on a pedestal; you are forever adding to things, tainting them, falsifying them .That is why you are powerless to see original spirit without reference to who or whatever it might be. Nincompoops, you are nothing but fakes and tricksters. 
Your case is hopeless.
And old man Tcheng left the room
Old man Tcheng spoke:
You have heard it said that in order to see original spirit your puny mind must be empty. So, there you sit, rigid as a bamboo stick, looking at the wall, your tongue against your palate, striving to put a stop to your thoughts. You thus come to an absence of thoughts which you take for the vacuity or original spirit. The very next moment, the turmoil of your petty mind starts up again just as it does when you come out of sleep. In the absence of thought, what profit is there? And if a flash of light shakes you, there you go prancing like a young horse, bellowing that you have seen original spirit, that you have experienced something immense and that you were greatly privileged. 
What advantage is there in being struck as by thunder? 
All of that is a nice performance, just good enough for a circus.
Baldies, if you persist in your mania and your pretence at wanting to attain and possess whatever it might be, yours is a lost cause.


 Read more HERE


 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I will reflect on these words today as I sit in the Silence of the Heart... _/\_ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine.
      Just saw your comment.Apparently I don't get notifications anymore by mail! Loved your Jeff Foster post...
      Peace/Love all over.... ❤

      Delete