Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Nasir-i Khusraw - The pilgrimage


The pilgrims came with reverence,
   grateful for the mercy of God the Merciful,
came to Mecca from 'Arafat
   crying the pilgrim Labbaika of reverence.
Weary of the toil and trial of Hejaz,
    delivered out of hell and dire chastisement,
pilgrimage accomplished, visitation done
    back they returned home, safe and sound.
I went out awhile to welcome them,
    thrusting my foot outside my blanket.
In the midst of the caravan there came
    a friend of mine, true and well-beloved.
I said to him, 'Tell me how you escaped
    out of this journey of anguish and fear.
When I remained behind from you so long
    repining was always the companion of my thoughts.
I am happy, now you have made the pilgrimage;
    there is none like you in all this region.
Tell me now, after what manner did you
    hallow that most holy sanctuary?
When you resolved to put on pilgrim garb
    with what intention did you robe yourself?
Had you forbidden to yourself all things
    save only one, the Almighty Maker?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'Did you cry
    Labbaika knowingly and with reverence?
Did you hear the summoning voice of God
    and so answer as did Moses before you?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When on 'Arafat
    you stood, and made offering unto God,
did you know God, and unknow yourself?
    Did the breeze of gnosis then blow on you?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you went
    into the Sanctuary, like the men of the Cave,
were you secure from your own soul's evil,
    the pangs of burning, the anguish of Hell?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you cast
    your handful of stones at the accursed Satan,
did you then cast utterly from yourself
    all evil habits and blameworthy acts?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you slew
    the sheep for the sake of captive and orphan,
did you first see God near, and slay
    in sacrifice your mean and worthless soul?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you stood
    high on the hill where Abraham once prayed,
did you then truly in faith sure and certain
    surrender to God your most inward self?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you circled
    the Holy House, running like an ostrich,
did you remember the holy angels
    all circling about the mighty Throne of God?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you hastened
    from Safa to Marwa, hurrying to and fro,
did you see in your soul's glass all creation,
    was your heart heedless of Hell and Heaven?'
'No,' he replied. I said, 'When you returned,
    your heart torn at forsaking the Kaaba,
did you then commit your self to the tomb,
    are you now as if already your bones crumbled?'
'Of all whereon you have spoken,' he answered,
    'I knew nothing, whether well or ill.'
'Then, friend,' I said, 'you have made no pilgrimage;
    you did not dwell in the station of effacement.
You went; you saw Mecca; you returned,
    purchasing for much silver the toil of the desert.
If hereafter you would be pilgrim again,
    let it be so as I have now taught you.' 



Read more here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment