Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Byron Katie - If I had a prayer



I often say that if I had a prayer, it would be this:
‘God, spare me from the desire for love, approval, or appreciation. Amen.’
I don't have a prayer, of course,
because I don't want anything but what I have.
I know the benevolence of life.
Why would I pray for something different, which would always be less than what's coming?
God is another name for reality. It's complete, it's perfect, it fills me with the utmost joy.
The thought of asking for what isn't never even arises.
But if I still believed my thoughts, I would pray for one thing first: to be spared from the desire for love.
This desire causes nothing but confusion and misery.
It shuts down the awareness of what you already
have in reality.
It's painful to seek what you can never have outside yourself.
I say "can never have" because obviously you don't understand what you're seeking.
If you understood it, the seeking would be over.


No comments:

Post a Comment